Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Slope equals rise over run

I'm beginning to realize what it might be like next year. Maybe not.

In case you haven't heard, I got an offer to teach Algebra I and Algebra II next year at Guajome. Woohoo! ***I say offer because I haven't accepted the position yet. I am definitely keeping my options open.*** That's a step up! Or maybe 2 steps up for every one step to the right, depending on the slope...


...Anyways stop laughing, I'm not complaining, but a colleague of mine was out today and I subbed for her Algebra II class for 3 periods straight. Then I still had to go to my advisory and then teach my last period. I didn't get a break (except for lunch). It won't that hectic next year of course. I will have a prep first period and collaboration 2nd. If you've been following my blog, you'll know that that's 1st block everyday. I won't have the need to rush to work everyday. The only drawback is that I won't have my own classroom. :( I don't have one as of right now anyways. I'm am going to try to push for one. It's such a pain to be one of the "traveling teachers". I could probably manage. I've been doing that this year, so it shouldn't be a determining factor. It would be nice to say that I've worked at a particular school for 2 years and it would be much much easier than going around, filling out applications and going to interviews. I will definitely keep Blogger updated.

What happened today? The Algebra II classes are great. It was the third time subbing for them this year. I think they've started to like my style.

My Algebra I class, what a bunch of 4th graders. The first half of class, we worked in the computer lab on our linearity project. For the 2nd half, we went back to the classroom and I taught a lesson on graphing linear equations. As I was getting started, many of the students were wasting time trying to acquire a sheet of paper and a writing utensil. I must have thought it was a bit entertaining because I stopped and watched for a while. Seriously, for about 5 minutes, students were arguing about who is borrowing a pencil from who, demanding paper from other people, playing tug-o-war with pens, etc. After about a good five minutes I stopped them and told them something to the effect that they need to come to class prepared with pencils and paper handy. Also, I usually provide those materials. They know that. Finally I said, if they didn't have those materials, too bad, they're not taking notes. Magically, every student had a sheet of paper on their desk and a writing utensil in the hand. I was really amazed. Really. The rest of the day actually turned out well; better than usual. I finished my lesson, even though we had less time then I had planned, with time left over to start the homework. I was content with them at the end.

Also, one of my freshman girls thinks I was a bully in high school and my middle school students think I was once part of a gang. More on that to come.

I need to learn some organizational skills.

1 comment:

Christina said...

congratulations on the job offer!