Monday, September 28, 2009

First Full Day

Today was my first full day at my new school. I pretty much had to hit the ground running. I was forewarned that I had to be stern with my students and let them know that I am not there to be their friend.

I am fortunate in that I only have approximately 90 students. My two Geometry classes are blocks, so I have them for two periods each. Today, I introduced my myself, then we went over a group quiz the students took on Thursday. They are preparing for a test tomorrow. On Wednesday, we start a new unit.

Then I have an Algebra readiness class. This class has 36 students, but I think it was my better class today. I introduced myself and immediately started a lesson on solving one-step equations using the addition and subtracting properties of equality. I would have liked to play a fun name-game, but according to the pacing guide, the students were already one day behind. I think we caught up today though. Tuesday and Wednesday, we will be going over multiplication and division properties of equality. Friday, we will tie them all together and solve two-step equations.

During my prep and after school, I set up my room some more. I unpacked some items I have and rearranged my desk. My room is still bland, but hopefully over time I will collect some posters and student work to post on the walls. I have attached some photos of my room before I rearranged my desk.

Tomorrow, I'm going in early to staple 50 tests since the copier was out of staples. :/





No comments: