Friday, October 16, 2009

Work, work, work

This is my first post in a couple of weeks, I think. I haven't had much time to write a blog since I have had a lot of grading and I do not have internet at home. It's also the first time since I started working that I am caught up with grading. Today was the last day of the first quarter, so I have some work to grade this weekend.

After three whole weeks of teaching, I think my students are still adjusting to my procedures and teaching style. My Geometry students pretty much understand. My Algebra Readiness students are still getting there, but I have definitely seen some improvement since I have started. Basically, I want my students to know that when they are in my class, they need to be working.

I have also gotten use to the way things work at our school. Monday, we start a brand new quarter. I think with all the things I have tried first quarter, I know what to do better to make second quarter run more smoothly.

One thing, for example, is my discipline policy. I started to follow through with my warnings and assign after-school detentions. I will be continuing that. The students have been responding to that. I think after another round of detentions, most of my students will understand my procedures quite well.

Another thing is homework submission. I collect my Geometry homework every week; on either Friday or the following Monday. I like it because I am grading the entire thing for one or two days and the rest of my week is more open. However, I have noticed that some of my students don't do well on the homework for Thursdays and Fridays. Therefore, I am going to start checking homework sometime during the end of the week just to keep my students on track.

I wanted to at least make contact with all of the parents, but I fell behind on that. I will try in the next couple of weeks to do that.

On top of all that, I have to work on professional development.

One quarter of the year is done. I am looking forward for the rest of the year.

Goals for this weekend: finish grading, lesson plan for next week.

No comments: