Monday, November 9, 2009

Things are getting better

As opposed to a 'nudder' person I know, I think this month will be easy. We had parent conferences the last two weeks, so those are over with. Last week, I had one workshop, tomorrow I have one and next week I have two for BTSA. So that's 4 less days of work this month. Not only do these workshops give me a break from my classes, but I think they are very helpful. Then we get one week for Thanksgiving.

This is my 7th week of teaching this year and things are getting a lot better in my classes. In my geometry classes, the homework turn-in rate is almost 100%. At parent-conferences, we set up many academic contracts so many of my students will be attending mandatory tutoring. Hopefully, this translates to higher student achievement.

I am also seeing some gains in my pre-algebra class. There is very little whining about taking notes and transition times are getting smaller. My problem in that class are the few students who are there to do the exact opposite of what they are supposed to.

Overall, my classes are doing much better. I am having more happy days than I am stressful days. I feel at this point I am focusing less on teaching my students procedures and more on teaching them math.

Goal for next two days: catch up with grading.

2 comments:

Christina said...

it's inspiring to know that you have smooth sailing ahead. you deserve it!

Christina said...

p.s. thanks for the shout out. write more often!