Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A farfetched notion of trust

A lot happened today. During a passing period, the Spanish teacher stopped me and told me that all her students are saying in their presentations that they enjoy my class because I make it fun and they are understanding what they are learning. Now, this is not the main thing I want to talk about today, but I do want to say that I have to believe that a little. If you recall from yesterday's post, students lie. However, in this case, I want to say they are being truthful because they did not intend for me to hear about their presentations.

Anyways, I finished my final project for one of my UCSD courses. Today was the last day. We learned how to take Cornell notes. Do not ask me why. We just did.

3rd period was a little off task. Nothing out of the ordinary. I seriously need to assign them new seats.

The main thing I want to talk about is about a string of food thefts that have been happening in the teachers' area. That is the little area where our group of teachers eat lunch. I do not remember if I wrote about this, but one day I found that my chicken nuggets had been taken about a month ago out of the little freezer partition in our mini-fridge. That was not the first time that we have had something gone missing. Previously, another teacher had her Vitamin water taken out of the fridge. We have also had a Nature Valley granola bar taken. The last occurrence was a lean cuisine lunch taken out of the lunch bag laying on the table in the teachers' area.

Now think about this for a second. In order to eat the Lean Cuisine, the culprit had to have gone into the restricted teachers' area, open a teachers' lunch bag, take the lunch out of the bag, open in packaging, poke holes in the plastic, heat in the microwave on high for 3 and a half minutes, open and stir, heat for another 2 minutes, then let it rest in the microwave for 1 minute. Now think about the progression of the food taken. They started with just the water; easy and convenient. Then the granola bar; easy to swipe and it is food. Then my chicken nuggets. This was a little weird to me because I had taken the nuggets out of a larger bag in my freezer and put them in a little Ziploc baggie. They were not individually packaged. Then the most inconvenient, the Lean Cuisine.

This culprit (or culprits) have gotten awfully comfortable in our area. We are thinking about getting a hidden camera and catching the thief (or thieves) in action. I look forward to seeing what we find. In the meanwhile, I have been keeping my lunch, and anything else of value, in a locked cabinet. And you wonder why I do not trust these students?

No comments: