Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Whistle while you work

I have to give credit where credit is due:

Today, I was hanging out in the teacher's eating area after presentations getting ready to go home. One teacher came up and waited to use the bathroom. As the occupant walked out, the teacher waiting jokingly asked her if she left the toilet seat up. It is a staff bathroom used by both genders. You would think she would just brush off the joke, but they got into a playful argument; or at least that's what it seemed like at the beginning.

The argument was that women expect men to leave the toilet seat down for them after they finish. Why shouldn't men expect that women leave it up when they finish? Thinking about it, I think there is some mathematical reason why he is wrong and we should leave it up and they should leave it down. I'm not going to get into that though.

The offended teacher got a little ticked off and expressed her feelings to other teachers in the area while the offender used the bathroom. It got to the point where she waited for him to finish. When he walked out, she asked to talk to him outside. I thought some stuff was going down so I kind of followed them as they were walking out.

Apparently she is upset over all the comments he has made all week. First of all, I'm thinking "all week?". It's been two days. I know this guy. He is just a cheerful and joking kind of guy. In fact, as he was walking out to talk to the fed-up teacher, he was whistling and swinging his arms around like he was Mickey Mouse. He gave one of my MET students a hard time in a jokingly manner for not remembering my name. I guess I get him and others don't.

Although I give this teacher credit for standing up to the other and expressing how she feels about people joking with her, I think she should have taken it for what it really is and laughed it off. It's December. The holiday break is right around the corner. I'm happy about THAT.

Goal for tomorrow: finish grading SBPs.

No comments: