Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Shirley you're joking


I have a student in my advisory that I am going to call "Shirley". At the beginning of the year, Shirley was not at all enthusiastic about being in my advisory. For about a week, she asked me everyday if she can change advisories. She even went to another advisor and asked her if she can switch to her advisory because I have no control over my class.

Well, she never made it out of my class. It was past the first two weeks of school and too late. Too bad.

Several weeks later, she is talking to me now more than she ever has before. Yesterday, she drew a picture of me. Today she asked me why it wasn't posted on the wall. All her advisors that she drew a picture for put it up on their wall. I had to explain to her that the room does not belong to me.

After presentations today, I ran into her. She was upset because I didn't tell her specifically that she was supposed to present all five IB area's of interaction (AOI's). She's right. I didn't go up to her specifically and tell her. I addressed the whole class. I went over exactly what we expected of their presentation. I even went over the five AOI's with my class.

Anyways, I am glad things turned out the way they did. I thought I would never get back on her good side after giving her an F in advisory on her first progress report causing her a 2-week probation from cross-country. I wish I had the sort of pull on everybody that I do with student athletes.

Goal for tomorrow: Finish grading SBPs and other assignments.

No comments: