Monday, December 1, 2008

Students are just actors

It seems like everything that comes out of a student's mouth is a lie. They pretty much lie about everything. The funny thing is, they actually believe the stuff they say.

Today, I handed back a test I graded over the break. I gave two boys in 1st period a zero for suspicion of cheating. Although I did not notice it during the test, their tests looked identical. They even had the same wrong answers. I could hear one of the boys bickering under his breath while I finished passing back the test. Not only did he cheat, he tried to deceive into thinking he did not cheat. After class, I told them that they could retake the test. Not a lot of teachers would do that, but it is enough punishment for these students to make them stay after school for an hour.

Going into 3rd period, a student came around the corner and murmured some indistinguishable nonsense. To me, it sounded like a display of dissatisfaction for being in my class. Not knowing what she had said, I gave her a slight grin. Then she said sorry and asked if she had hurt my feelings. Trust me, she did not. I do not take these things personally. I like to say there is a little bit of truth in everything you say. Therefore, I can only take her apology for face value.

In 8th period, one student appeared to be unusually concerned about his grade in my class. I am staying after school on Thursday so he can retake a test. Honestly, I cannot tell if he will honor his commitment and show up. He only does well when his mother forces him to.

In these past 3 months, I have become distrusting and ambivalent towards my students' appreciation for my class. I realize that some students do not have someone to push them to achieve academically. However, in order to give a little, you have to take a little. I have provided them many opportunities to perform well in my class. I just I have to teach them how to take them.

1 comment:

Christina said...

This reminds me of my two girls from today.