Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Full-time no joke

To some, it may appear as though I have it easy. Sometimes, I think so too. So how is it I am able to come home, eat some food, play some Gears of War 2 and talk on the phone all night? Well, as an intern teacher at Guajome, I have only 4 class whereas a full-time teacher has 6. That means I have 2 extra prep periods. During these prep periods, I work and do what I have to in order to avoid taking anything home. Today I wondered, what if I was a full-time teacher and did not have those two extra prep periods?

That means that I would not have the extra time to do the things I need to do during school hours, write tests for example. Those kinds of things I would have to do after school or on the weekends. This reminds me of what my UCSD professor and supervisor told us: Sundays were his designated teacher-days. On Sundays, he graded tests, wrote lesson plans and prepped for the upcoming week, hermit-style. It scares me to think that I may actually have to do that in the near future.

Trust me. I am not one of those kinds of people that likes to take work home and work on it there. In fact, I left my laptop at school today because I do not use it here anyways. I may end up like those teachers that arrive to school at the crack of dawn and leave around sunset. Honestly, I would do that if it meant that I did not have to work at home all night or on the weekends.

Regardless, I know this is what I what to do and I am almost there.

No comments: