Monday, November 17, 2008

24 damnit

Today was a 24 day. Since today was Monday, the periods were about 30 minutes each. For my Algebra I classes, we had a homework quiz. After the quiz, we played the 24 game for the remainder of the period. It's the one with 4 integers on a card. You have to use basic operations to obtain the solution of positive 24 or negative 24.

The bottom line is...oh my gosh. I thought these students would be more into it. In retrospect, I don't think I would be into it if I were in their shoes either. This is the 24 game with integers. This includes positive and negative whole numbers. The solution can be either positive 24 or negative 24. This raises the level of difficultly. To top it off, we only had about 10-15 minutes to play after the quiz. Plus, there was no incentive for the winner. But hey, it's better than a worksheet. Plus, I cannot emphasize the importance of adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing integers. These are basic skills crucial for success in Algebra.

I don't know. Maybe we needed more time to "play" this game. Some students were into it though. But even those students were having difficulty solving the problems. I wonder where the creators were when they designated this game for ages 12+.

Also, we played the 24 game at home. Not the card game. I left that at work. I'm talking about the show 24. I got my roomies hooked. We started watching season 6, so we can get ready for the premier of season 7 on Sunday. I'm super excited for that. Anyways, the game ended up being not what we expected. In two episodes, the word "damnit" was only said 3 times. If I remember correctly, Jack had only said it once of those three times. Grrr. Actually, I'm not too mad. After all, I do have to wake up at 5:30 tomorrow morning.

Also, I love Priscilla.

4 comments:

Christina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christina said...

We play a game similar to this called "Name that Number." It's a 2-4 player game. Each player gets five cards. The rest of the deck is face down. Turn over the top card. This is the target number. The players must use basic operations and as many cards as they can to reach the target number. They get to keep whichever cards they use, and replace those cards for the next round so that they always have five cards in hand. The object is to collect the most cards (i.e. make the most complex equations). We play with special decks called number decks, but you can play this with a regular deck of cards, using A-10 and omitting face cards.

My kids like it.

jsos said...

more like 23, damnit.

Sarup said...

MORE like 3!!!!!!!!! DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it should have been at least 10. hehe