Thursday, November 13, 2008

Never trust someone under 18

Today I got a new rotation of MET students. They make a group of 12 7th graders and I will have them for the remainder of the semester. It's so weird hearing that. It's almost been a semester! Anyways. I know I have my work cut out for me because, all of the students have a C or below in their mainstream math class. Plus, each of the students' math grade declined in the second grading period. Right now they are working on exponents and radicals. I'll try to help them not only become experts in exponents and radicals, but become good little learners.

I started off by telling them a little about myself. I told them that I am from Holtville and one girl said she grew up there. Holtville is awesome. It's a small farm town in the Imperial County with a population of about 5,000. I hope to find a home and settle down there eventually. For now, I'm here in sunny San Diego.

Anyways, soon after, she went to the restroom. Then the VP came in my room asking for her. I told him she was in the restroom. He told me to "watch out for her". Apparently, she likes taking advantage of her restroom privileges. I couldn't believe it. Here is this sweet little girl from Holtville taking advantage of her bathroom privileges and the VP making an effort to track down her class and tell her teacher to "watch out for her". She came back and said that one of the security guards made her wash some markings from her hand. That is why it took her so long. I'm so swayed to give her the benefit of the doubt. I guess I can't be too trusting of these students.

It's like a wise-man once said: "Never trust someone under 18".

No comments: