Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Express your ideas in a different way so more people understand

Today was a crazy day. A lot happened today and it all happened so quickly. I feel as though the day was moving along without me. I guessed that's a good thing. I don't know. I know that it's 6:30pm right now and I am at home. Usually on a Tuesday, I don't get home until about 8:30 because of class.

Today after class, a classmate of mine approached me and asked if he can come in and observe one of my classes. He needs to observe a couple of students for the English Learner case study we had to do. We had to analyze two English learners' performance in a strategy we implemented in the class. I said yes and we're going to coordinate his visit later.

That got me realizing that I could be doing more to help my students learn what we are currently going over. My plan is to create a graphic organizer to help the students organize the information in a differenty way: graphically. What I am thinking about is a web chart with "solving equations" in the center. What branch off the center concept are the properties needed to solve equations. I think this will be a good review for the end of the chapter.

So this provides a different way students can organize the information, demonstrate their understanding to me and to express their creativity. In other words, it allows them to use a different mode of communication to express their ideas, to show me what they know and how they are understanding the concept of solving equations.

No comments: