Wednesday, November 19, 2008

New light to help brighten my sight

Today was another one of those I-think-I'm-starting-to-get-the-hang-of-it feeling type of days. I worked another full-load day. I subbed for another teacher, so I had no prep. I was more than happy to fill-in because I get extra money and I had nothing to do anyways.

One of the classes I subbed for was a 9th grade class. Some of my students are in that class. It was really interesting to see them in a different light. It was a mix of some students from each of my Algebra I sections, my advisory and other 9th graders. They act very differently in this light. One student, for example, is absolutely quiet in my class. In this class, he reminded me of a hungry chihuahua seeing his favorite Kibbles 'n Bits being poured into his bowl. One student told me that he was lucky to have me for 2 periods in a row today; 6th and advisory. Another student asked me if I was jealous of her paper-snowflake.

On the bright side, I have a better understanding of the assignments they are working on in this class. It's like ammunition I can take with me when I ask them about their grades or if they try to lie and say they have no homework.

Regardless, I left work feeling pretty good. I wasn't exhausted at all. I was a little hungry, but not too tired. The fact that I am traveling to NorCal on Friday helps brighten my spirit too.

Goal for tomorrow: prep an activity on exponents for my MET class.

No comments: