Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A few adjustments and management is restored

Today went really well. Better than I had expected. I wasn't expecting a lot of cooperation today since the students had just come back from a 4-day weekend and frankly because it was 8th period.

I gave the students a new seating chart. Really, it was minutely revised from last time. A few adjustments, if you will. For some, it was a reminder of where they are supposed to sit. Why can't students remember where they sit? We would all win. I had one student who sat in the back. She was really stubborn and actually refused, albeit politely. I gave her two options: 1) sit in her assigned seat or 2) go to the vice-principal's office. I know she doesn't get along with him, so I gambled and gave her that option. She chose to sit in the assigned seat. The whole period she was unusually quiet and taking notes. Anyways, I posted up the seating chart for their reference.

Because of that, the students were doing really well. They were quiet and I was able to talk uninterrupted. I had planned on review classroom procedures today; especially what to do when they come into class. They were so good, I decided to skip that and go straight into the lesson. Because of that, I ended class with a few minutes left to spare; not too bad. Some students started on the homework and actually asked me some clarifying questions.

To top it all off, no one stayed for after-school tutoring, so I was able to leave a little earlier. That could also be a bad thing. We shall see.

No comments: