Thursday, October 30, 2008

Consistency = 1 / (Nagging + Frustration)

Today turned out to be a great day despite what happened in 3rd period today. Today we had a quest (as long as a quiz, worth as much as a test). I administered the test in first period with absolutely no difficulty. I started the day with a little classical music. I had them listen to it for a couple of minutes, then I asked them if they wanted me to do a couple last minute problems on the board. I did a couple, then I handed out the quest. As I expected, there was absolutely no talking. If they finished early, I had two cryptograms they could work on, which they all completed. I even gave them some halloween candy and let them go a few minutes early.

Third period did not go so well. I mean, it started off well. I played the music just like 1st period. There was some opera thrown in there, so I had to turn it off. Then I asked if they would like me to do any problems on the board before the quest. No questions. I made sure and I asked them again. Again, no questions. So we began. What happened was that there was some sporadic chatting going on here and there. Now, I know they weren't talking about the test, so I simply reminded them not to talk during the quest. It happened quite a bit and since I was a little tired from a lack of sleep the night before, I wasn't being as strict as I should have been. Plus, a lot of them were asking me how to do the problems. Up to a certain point, I was helping students one at a time which caused me to turn my back to the majority of the class. I almost wanted to create a new and different test for the next class session. Now I know what to do for the next test AND for tomorrow in 8th period. Oh, and I didn't give them candy.

One positive thing that happened at the end of the period was that while I was talking about upgrades and retakes the bell rang. I totally ignored it, but a couple of the students did not. They stood up and I told them to sit down. I think that was remarkable. I do have to give myself a little applause for that.

Immediately after, I called my comfort and support. She simply reinforced the fact that I should have been a lot stricter about talking. She told me about one of her teachers who took a test away from one of her classmates for asking for a pencil a few moments after receiving test. Now I know I have to be strict and follow-through with my specifications. I'm not a fortune-teller or anything, but I guarantee you that tomorrow I am going to take someone's test away.

No comments: