Friday, October 31, 2008

Set expectations and stick with them

The test during 8th period went pretty well. I set my expectations at the beginning of the class. During the test there was no talking until towards the end when people finished up. They did have the cryptogram to work on when they finished the test. If they were talking quietly while they were working on it, I wasn't too annoyed. However, I realized that I shouldn't have any talk at all; regardless of if whether or not they were finished with the test. Honestly, for being the last period of the day, on a Friday, immediately after an assembly and on Halloween, I believe the students did very well behavior-wise. At the end of the period, I was in a decent mood and I gave them a few pieces of candy each. For future reference, I do think I need to be more clear in my expectations and be more strict in enforcing them during tests.

Since today was Halloween, I believe there was a lot of fun spirit in the air. Surprisingly, many students dressed up for Halloween and I think most of the teachers did as well. I was actually not looking foward to giving a test in 8th period. I thought they were going to be rowdy and that no one was going to be able to concentrate. The assembly rallied all the students up via a costume contest. They also played a face painting game in which people who didn't dress up for Halloween got the face painted by people who did dress up. Fortunately, they had lunch after the assembly to cool down and refocus. Overall, the day went really well and I am happy with how the day went.

After school I helped my friend move out of his apartment. His mother was there helping him move out and clean up. I thought it was funny to see them interact the same way they did when we were kids. What she did was snap at him as soon as he started imitating his younger brother. She didn't put up with it back then, nor does she put up with it now. I thought it was cool to see. Anyways, the point is, I think I need to be more like my friend's mom and enforce the rules more strictly and consistently.

No comments: