Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Retelling stories for comprehension, explaining problems for understanding

Today went pretty well. I did an activity in Algebra I called Four Tutors. This one I picked up from a teacher at the Preuss School. During the period, while students are working on what I call "On Your Own" problems, or "OYO's", I check to see which students are doing them with ease (check for understanding). I also check to see which students are able to do them with a little guided practice. Then I pick 4 students to be the "tutors" from those two groups. I give them each a card with a problem similar to the problems we just went over on one side and the answer on the other. Then the tutors situate themselves around the room and the other students go around to each one with a sheet with 4 squares. The goal is for the students to solve all four problems in the allotted time. The tutors are chosen to assist the students in solving the problems.

I think this activity went pretty well. One reason why I think it went well was because we have done this activity before. One reason how I can tell it went well was because one student who needed some guided practice in solving the problems before was able to explain how to solve the problem to the students during the activity.

I think this is important because being able to explain a problem to another person reinforces the student's understanding of the problem and the ability to solve it.

This connects to what we learned in class tonight. We learned that retelling stories reinforces an English learner's comprehension of English. Also, retelling stories (or in a math class: how to solve problems) in an individual or small group setting is less intimidating than doing so in front of the entire class. The four tutors activity allows students to demonstrate their understanding without going up to the board and explaining a problem to the class.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dude, I totally agree. If you can teach it, you officially know it. But until that time, you probably just sort-of know it.

TCP said...

excellent thoughts neatly penned down