Monday, October 20, 2008

Don't plan the plan if you can't follow through

Finally it fits! The title is a lyric from the song "A Man's Gotta Do" from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog.

So today I took the day off. I called in sick. I felt I needed another day of rest before I started the week. I actually rested and feel a whole lot better now. However, I did mess up with something I am supposed to do everytime I take the day off; sub plans.

Don't get me wrong. I did do them. In fact, I spent about 2 hours doing them yesterday. Then I sent the e-mail to the school last night. However, when I checked my e-mail this afternoon, I realized I forgot to attach the document. I was so upset at myself. I spent those 2 hours on Sunday for nothing. Anyways, another learning experience this is.

On a positive note, I spent my day off at my alma mater, Holtville High School. I observed 3 math teachers; one of whom was my 7th grade math and geometry teacher. That was quite an experience. The 3 teachers all had their own teaching styles. The classes were completely different. I observed a geometry class, algebra I class, then math analysis.

Observing the algebra I class strengthened my desire to move a little faster. Their class is already learning the slope-intercept form of equations and we're just learning how to solve multi-step, single-variable equations. Then again, I don't know the details of his pacing. He could be jumping around for all I know.

Besides that, I ran into some people I know from school. That's always nice.

Lastly, I want to close with something one of the teachers told me. He told me to do as many observations as I can: take what you can get, steal some ideas and try them for yourself.

No comments: