Thursday, October 16, 2008

New unit, new seating chart, new attitude

Until this week, I had let my 3rd period sit wherever they wanted. There was no seating chart. On Tuesday, I started a new unit, so I wanted to do things a little differently this time around. The new seating chart seemed to have worked on Tuesday. Today, it was even more apparent to me that the seating chart improved their behavor.

Of course, other factors play into this; parent conferences for example. I separated two girls because both their mothers said they get especially distracted by each other. You can imagine they did not like that idea. I had no problems with them talking at all this week though.

The striking event that happened today was that one of my students pointed out that the class today is going very well. He hypothesized that this could have been the best class [behavior-wise] ever. Then he said that it probably had something to do with the seating chart. Then he said "You really put a lot of thought into it, didn't you mister?" I did, I really did.

Also, today my UCSD supervisor came in to observe me. He was sitting in the back of the room. He also noticed a big improvement in the students' behavior. In his observation notes, he said "They are much more focused (most of the time, other than the occasional ice cream and myspace talk). And the side talking is almost not here at all."

This is good news because I do want my students to learn. I do want them to see that I put a lot of thought and effort in my plans and actions. And I do want to be successful in my first year of teaching.

1 comment:

Christina said...

i recently made a new seating chart as well. i printed out everyone's names and cut them out, then i arranged them like a puzzle. it was fun.