Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Tangents, fires and 6th graders

Today I want to talk about tangents. I don't mean the kind of tangent that is a line which intersects a circle at one point. I'm talking about the digression from one topic to another.

Today started like any Tuesday or Thursday, except on Tuesdays, I don't have traffic duty. 1st period Algebra I, 3rd period Algebra I, 5th period prep and 7th period MET. In 3rd period, during my lecture, the class went on a tangent after one student blurted out "Did you see the fires?" She was refering to the fires in Oceanside. These students live right around there, so of course, they all started getting into the conversation. Immediately I had to redirect their focus back to me.

In MET, something similar happened. Firstly, I've been meaning to talk about MET. I like this class because it's very different than the traditional math class; any class for that matter. MET stands for Math, English and Technology. The students enrolled in the class rotate between the three subjects every five weeks. Today, I got a new set of students. They are sixth graders! I was so surprised. Of course I got the roster last week, but I hadn't looked at it until 7th period. These sixth graders are awesome. They're as energetic as my 9th graders, but their energy is very positive. They are eager to learn, listen and do pretty much whatever the teacher says. 6th grade teachers, I envy you.

Anyways, since it was the first day with them, I introduced and told them a little about myself. While I was telling them about myself, I told them that I was a college advisor in college. They started asking me about college. I could see that they all had some sort of interest in going to college, or at least in a career that requires college. This tangent I was okay with. It was actually related to what I was talking about. Plus, it showed me that I may be able to use my knowledge of college admissions with them. After we refocused, I did an introductory activity with them.

I did an activity called "About You". I had them write down their name on a piece of paper. Then I had them write 2 things about themselves that are commom; e.g. I have a dog. Then I had them write down 1 thing about themselves that is unique; e.g. I speak 3 languages. Next, they hand them in and stand up. I start reading off the 3 things. After the first one, the people with which the statement does not relate sit down. Same after the second and the third. The idea is that the only person standing is the person whose paper it belongs to. The activity allows me and the rest of the class get to know the students.

Despite the tangent in each of those classes, I did manage to complete everything I meant to complete. However, I believe I can use some sort of verbal cue other than my "quiet down and listen up" to redirect the students' attention back to my lesson. I could also use a non-verbal cue. I don't have one at all as of right now. I have been toying with my electronic timer. I think I'll use it tomorrow with 8th period and let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

Sarup said...

are you talking about the electric timers that buzz really ANNOYINGLY (like the scattergories one?). i think i would laugh if my teacher did that haha, but i definitely would shut up :)