Friday, October 24, 2008

More frontend work, less backend work

I think I am starting to get in the groove of planning. According to my supervisor, my planning is really developed and I have a good idea of what is coming up week to week.

Today I spent 10 hours at work. About 4 hours of it was spent prepping for next week and I am not even done. I am doing a review activity on solving linear equations. The prepping included a lot of cutting, laminating and more cutting. Today, during 4th and 6th periods, I was in the upper admin building using the big paper cutter; you know, the one with the big swinging blade. The principal walked up behind me and said "Hi Eric!". I was astonished. She knows my name! I replied "Hi Carla". Then I went to advisory, lunch and 8th period. After 8th period, I had detention supervision. After that, I continued cutting with the big paper cutter. The prinicipal comes in shortly after and asks "What are you still doing here?!" She said it in a jokingly manner. I told her that I hadn't been there the entire time.

On the topic of taking as much in as possible, I was talking to an experienced teacher while I was cutting about projects and lesson plans. She started the conversation by asking if there was an easier way. I told her using the cutting was the easiest way I can think of. Then I told her the plan was to prep a lot on the frontend and not do as much work during the activity. Plus, I can lend these materials I am creating to other teachers and use them in future years.

Lastly, I don't think I would have gone so many hours if I wasn't so excited about Priscilla coming down. She is here now and staying for the weekend. During that time, I am going to try to do more work; including posting grades on my lily pad like I promised my students. Hopefully she will help.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

More frontend work, less backend work?

T. W. S. S.