Monday, January 26, 2009

Hang in there buddy

Today, during my lunch, I got to witness a student blow up in class. What happened was this girl went out to get a drink of water. Apparently, she was not just getting a drink of water because her teacher came outside of the classroom about one minute later to call her back in the class. She gave him a little attitude upon returning to the class. Then she blew up. She slammed something on her desk, yelled a couple of cuss words, then stormed out of the class and out of the building. I do not know where she went, but the teacher did the right thing to enlist the help of another teacher. The other teacher called security to find the girl.

Now, I have been fortunate enough to avoid such altercations. I do have to say, however, the teacher was in a tough situation. He has been on the job since the beginning of this semester. Therefore, he has only known his students for three weeks. My guess is, if he had known this student better, he would have known not to push so hard and get her back in his classroom more quietly and discreetly.

He was able to keep the rest of his students safe; which is the first priority. One good thing that came out of this experience is that both I and the teacher have seen one way to handle a situation like this. From this observation, I have learned how to firmly and directly retrieve a student. With everything else in the teaching practice, I have to know when and where to apply this technique, since they do not work for every student.

Anyways, the title is from an e-mail my house leader sent me regarding a student issue. Not a big deal. He is just being supportive.

No comments: