Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Time is passing. Are you?

Last night, when I was talking to Priscilla, I told her my old high school experience. I remember, early in high school, seeing every adult in the school as an authority figure. Now, as a teacher, I think that it is weird that most of the teachers at my school dress very casually. I can think of a couple of teachers that consistently dress in a t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops. I think it is cool that we work in such a casual work environment, but I think we should be setting an example. Also, it would help create more of a school environment.

It’s funny to see how different techniques work for different scenarios. For example, today for 8th period, I performed a pre-emptive attack and warned them that if they are uncooperative in any way, I would instantly assign them detention. I was still harboring ill feelings from Monday’s class.

Monday went pretty well except for the very end. It really annoys me when my students ask me if they can leave early, they put up their chairs prematurely and when they try to leave when the bell rings. Sometimes I feel just like them and I want to get out of there, but I know I could be doing a lot better.

Sometimes even I start packing up early. That tells the students that it’s okay to start packing up. Also, when I tell them to stay in their seats, they always whine about how there are only 5 minutes left. I think another problem is that the release time is at 3:05 and they automatically think 3:00, but that is out of my control.

I think what I have to do is train them the bell is not their signal to leave. One thing I have noticed is that when they are engaged in an activity towards the end of the period, they do not realize it is almost time to leave until the bell rings. I should probably try more of that. I have tried having them complete some of the homework problems before they leave. That only works if I am walking all around the room keeping them on task. Sometimes I cannot because I have to stop and help some students.

In high school, my math teacher had a hand-crafted frame around his clock that read “Time is passing. Are you?” It was just a reminder to pay attention to the teacher. I think I would try that in my classroom. I would also try talking the clock down since I usually wear a watch anyway. These are some things I need to keep my mind on for next year.

No comments: