Friday, January 16, 2009

When are we ever going to need this?

Overall, this week went be a whole lot better than last week. Although I am really tired now, I didn't seem to be longing for the weekend as much as I was last week. Even though I had no prep today since I was subbing for a colleague, I think today went really well.

For Algebra, we are going over multiplying polynomials. My students often ask, "When are we ever going to need this?" For this topic in particular, I have been trying to ascertain the concept myself. Instead of trying to make my students understand the underlying concept of multiplying polynomials, I have been trying to make them understand the procedures and think about their own reasoning. For example, when a student goes up to the bed to solve a problem, I ask them to explain their work. They have to understand how and why every step works.

I hope to continue this trend of board work and understanding the reasoning. They don't like it, but I know it helps them understand what they are doing. In the long-run, they will become better learners and retain more knowledge.

1 comment:

Christina said...

you make your students solve problems in bed?