Friday, January 23, 2009

"Los angeles no tienen espaldas"

Today was not the greatest day of all. I woke up with a really sore throat. I think I caught a cold last night. Needless to say, the rest of the day did not turn out real well.

I had already planned to sleep-in today since our collaboration did not start until 8:30. I slept-in until 6:00am. I got up hoping the shower will make me feel better. It actually did, so I continued getting ready. Once I made it downstairs I made myself breakfast; a couple of breakfast burritos. I ate them there then left. First, I stopped at 7-11 for some coffee.

I got to work right at 8:30. When I got there, I heard them talking about me, since I usually arrive around 7:15. We went to collaboration and that went by almost painlessly. Then I spent my 4th period prep grading tests. For the beginning of 6th period, I helped Erin with her skit acting like Gregor Mendel. She needed somone to play her intro music. It was really cool. She walked in dressed in a grey, curly haired wig, thick glasses and a monk's robe, carrying a candle stick. She imitated him to the best of her abilities while her students asked her questions regarding genetics. Then I went back to grading.

Advisory was a free day. We stayed inside since we thought it was going to rain. Then I ate part of my lunch. Then I went to 8th period. By that point, I was not feeling real well. If I did not have a test that day, I probably would not have made it through the entire period. School ended and I went to the gym. I probably should not have, but Richard would have given me a hard time. Then we ate at Souplantation. I don't usually like Souplantation, but today I did. I had a custom salad, turkey noodle soup and chili along with some cornbread, blueberry muffin-top and cranberry cobbler.

Anyways, during collaboration I sat down positioning my chair so as to not turn my back to Ms. Rendon. She told me "los angeles no tienen espaldas". I was thinking "What about the Dodgers?" Literally, it means "angels do not have backs". Basically, it is a polite way to say that it's okay if you turn your back. That is remarkable to me because I try not to turn my back when I talk to people. I think it's disrespectful. At the same time, I do not take it lightly when people do that to me. It happens sometimes when I assign students detention.

No comments: