Friday, January 30, 2009

Name change

I changed the name of the blog. The reasons why: 1) It's apparent from the daily blog posts and the nature of the job that I am in the classroom everyday. 2) I try to include a lesson on life for myself and for others. Many things happen at work and I need to be able to reflect upon and learn from those things. Often times, those lessons apply to real life.

Two significant things happened today. The first one was I bought pizza for my advisory students. They were so thankful. One student even gave me a half-hug. Very awkward. Apparently, that is his favorite pizza. It was a little usual seeing some of my students be so kind. I bought them pizza because they won the kickball game last semester and because they have been improving on their participation in advisory.

The other significant event was me rushing through my lesson in 8th period. The lesson was taking longer than I had anticipated. If I want to finish the unit in the next two weeks, I need to keep the current pace I have planned. As much as I do not want to be grading tests Valentine's Day weekend, I need to get to the next unit; linear equations.

What I realized was that if I mess up, I don't really have the opportunity to fix it until the next class. I could revisit the lesson and patch up any holes next time, but the day ends at the same time everyday, whether I mess up or not.

No comments: