Monday, January 12, 2009

How was your day?

I have a student that I mention in my stories quite a bit. I may have mentioned her in a previous blog entry. Since I forgot the pseudo name I used last time, I will call her Harriet. As she walked into my class today, she asked me how my weekend was. I don't like getting to personal so I told her it was good. She waited a second and responded by saying "My was good too. Thanks for asking." Obviously she was being sarcastic. It made me think that I should not try to be so distant.

Later, after the quiz, I asked her what she actually did. The reality is she did not do too much; including not doing her homework. I think she just wanted to talk. This whole incident also made me consider how I treat my other relationships.

I often go through the day giving one-word responses. When people ask how my day was, I usually just say that it went well; similar to what I told Harriet. I do not get into too much detail. I know when Priscilla asks me, she has to probe out the details.

Anyways, the point is life is too short for one-worded responses. I know that does not make logical sense, but from a social point-of-view, start talking! In a manner of speaking, 'Stop and smell the roses'. They smell good.

Goals for tomorrow: finish reading for 381.

3 comments:

Priscilla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Priscilla said...

Boy am I glad to hear that! lol

Sarup said...

i think you should talk more too, i like talking with you :)