Wednesday, January 28, 2009

No common sense

Not too much happened today. It was another ordinary Wednesday.

I am starting to get annoyed at how stupid some of my students are. I am not talking about math-stupid. I mean common-sense stupid. Today, I let a girl go to the bathroom about 20 minutes after the start of class. A couple minutes later, I let a boy go to the bathroom. About 20 minutes later, with initial suspicion, I started wondering where they are. I look out my window and see them sitting in the computer lab chatting with the students there. They knew they were not supposed to be out there because when the boy saw me looking out the window, he tried to hide behind the student next to him. I went out there to retrieve them and I told them I would refer them to our house leader. The girl started at it saying she was only there "for like a second". The boy said the girl told him that I said it was okay for them to be out there.

I just don't get it. These students are not the best math students. If I were them, I would return from the bathroom as soon as possible so I can learn. They're all going to have to pass Algebra. There's no getting around that. I got really annoyed at the girl in particular because the students just came from lunch, she arrived to class tardy and she still asked to use the restroom.

Later in class, the students were very apologetic. Unfortunately for them, I'm not a sucker for the puppy-dog sad-face. I still referred them to the house leader. Hopefully now they'll start taking my class more seriously.

Something funny. One student brought Oreo cookies to practice for the contest, but he ate them before advisory. We didn't get the chance to practice. I may pick him to represent our advisory in the contest. This should be fun.

2 comments:

Priscilla said...

I have to say as a teacher it is good that you don't fall for the sad puppy face, but it sucks for me. I cant get anyway with anything... lol

Eric Velazquez said...

I put that in there you :D